Most people will believe that candle making is a relatively easy process. You melt wax, pop a wick into a container, pour, set and then burn to your hearts content. If only it were that easy!
Candle making is a science. There are so many variables involved to ensure a candle burns effectively based on the wax type, wick brand and size, jar size, fragrance oil then all the temperatures involved – room temp, wax melt temp, what temp you add the fragrance oil to the wax and the pour temp and it goes on…….
Then comes the testing. To ensure you get the very best out of your Fox & Fern candle, every fragrance undergoes a rigorous testing process. This involves 4 hour burns recording the hot throw (the strength of aroma), burn speed, melt pool, weight, wax reset, flame height, potential sooting, how hot your jar gets and that’s just for one fragrance. Each and every fragrance can perform completely differently, hence all oils are tested and recorded. It takes years to build the confidence in producing quality, clean burning candles. Let’s face it, we’re effectively putting a live flame into your space!
WHERE DO YOU COME IN?
So, you’ve excitedly received your Fox & Fern Candle and can’t wait to light it – understandably. You take the match and savour the fragrance filling your room and enjoy. The End………woah there, candles need to be taken care of. This is where I’m going to sound like a candle parent, but go with me on this:
- The first burn is important. Give it a good burn for 3 – 4 hours (no more than 4 hours)
- Position safely – Keep your candles on a flat heat proof mat away from curtain and draughts
- Trim that wick every time you go to light it. Keeps the wick nice and short to ensure no large disco dancing flame or sooting occurs.
- Extinguish your candle with a candle snuffer. No chance of blowing hot wax into your room!
- Always leave 2cm of wax at the end of the candle. Never burn it completely as the jar will get too hot.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended or close to children or pets.
So that’s it. I have passed on my yoda knowledge to you so go forth and enjoy your candles.